It Only Took Four Months

Monday, January 14, 2013

To finish the roman shade. Yeah, seriously.  I ordered the fabric from Tonic Living shortly after we moved into the house.  I think I finally cut it to size in October, sewed the lining and main fabric together in November and then I spent most of Saturday finishing it up.  All in all, it wasn't difficult at all.  I lack confidence when it comes to sewing something new, so I tend to take my sweet time finishing it up.

I learned a few lessons along the way, the most frustrating part for me was sewing on the sleeves for the dowels.  They are not straight at all, and that really bothers me.  I think next time I'll baste stitch them into place before sewing them on with the machine or press the fabric, something to ensure I'm sewing them on straight.

I have to say, that I forgot just how much I love to sew.  I'm not sure when I last used my machine, maybe a year ago?  Pretty crazy.

Anyhow, here are some pics of the finished piece!  I currently have the shade propped into place with the help of a couple of dowels.  I really want to see how it would look before fastening it to the window.

I used two tutorials to make this.  The first is by Barbara, found here.  She did such a great job and has included photos.  The second one can be found here, on Martha Stewart's website.



  1. Great Job Julie, Fab

  2. Fabulous work! I am impressed. I think I rip stitched the dowels so many times just to get them straight!

  3. julie, it looks fantastic! i love it. you have given me a bit of a push, maybe i'll actually get around to sewing one for my own kitchen sometime...soon ;) nice job!


Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!


© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas